Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Sweetness of Friendship

This week has been a mixture of sadness, excitement and fulfilment. Earlier in the week, my friend's wife lost her 9-month old pregnancy and it wasn't funny at all. The first person Nasir, my friend, called was me. His wife needed an urgent operation so that the dead baby could be evacuated, so she was taken to a more equipped hosiptal- and certainly more expensive. The operation was successful, but when it came to settling the bill, there was a slight challenge. Nasir called me,and although I was broke, I knew he called me because he believed in me. I called some of my friends as well, and by Saturday evening (today), Nasir's wife was discharged.
It may have been a sad experience, but it would have been sadder if I couldn't help. When my friend called on me, I called on my other friends and the problem was solved. The sweetness of freindship doesn't get better this. To all my friends who are never tired of making my life sweeter, God bless you all. Indeed, I'm lesser-man without you.
On a lighter note, I was stopped by LASTMA officials for discussing with my friend while driving-Nasir called me while I was on my way to the office. I explained to the officials, begged them and expected them to see reason with me, but they did not. When my efforts weren't paying off, I decided to speak the language they understand but pretend not to- I called the Special Assistant to the a Commissioner! The speed with which they released me was alarming, and their sudden friendly disposition really annoyed me. I begged like every reasonable person should, but they decided to be unreasonable, so I decided to deflate their overblown ego.
Must we do this to ourselves everytime? I tire for our so-called law enforcement agents oooo.

2 comments:

  1. Good to know that your somehow you were a friend indeed. The whole essence of friendship is being there for each other when times gets so hard.

    As per the LASTMA officials I honestly don't know what can be done about law enforcement agents in Naija. They are all so diligent and committed to the cause initially but somewhere along the line they just miss it...

    E go better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sop very much, Dove. For me friendship is life, no matter the number of betrayals that may happen.
    As for LASTMA, I don tire for dem. Lol.

    ReplyDelete