Thursday, October 27, 2011
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Nigeria thrashed an Argentina B team in a friendly in Abuja. Ike Uche scored twice and Victor Obinna once to put the hosts three up at the break. Emmanuel Emenike made it four before Mauro Boselli scored a consolation for the South Americans with a penalty deep into stoppage time.
Argentina coach Sergio Batista had chosen an under-25 squad, mostly Europe-based, for the match, as he chose to rest most of his regular squad ahead of next month's Copa America.
And those players handed the opportunity to impress failed to take it as Nigeria dominated from the outset.
They went in front after only nine minutes when Joel Obi's cross found Uche, whose shot was deflected into the net off defender Ezequiel Garay.
In the 27th minute Federico Fazio fouled Victor Anichebe in the area and Obinna made no mistake from the spot.
And Uche grabbed his second by heading home a cross from the right.
Emenike added a fourth early in the second half, running onto a long ball and finishing well.
Argentina made several substitutions and had chances to reduce the deficit but could not take them.
They finally got on the scoreboard eight minutes into injury time - only five had been signalled - when Joseph Yobo was penalised for a handball and Boselli scored from the spot.
Argentina will look to recover when they take on Poland in Warsaw on Sunday.
If una like, call am Team Z, Argentina na Argentina!
I love this! Why would a government sell off state-owned property at ridiculously low prices, and still leave a huge debt for the incoming administration? But then, the part I love most about the decisions of OGHA is captured by The Punch thus:
Members of the assembly also directed that the N1.2bn tallest building in the state, named OGD Plaza, should be renamed Ogun Property Investment Corporation and directed the management of the corporation to remove the OGD inscription on immediately.
You built a plaza with our money and named it after yourself! Now, that's crazy!!!!!
Our politicians will never cease to amaze me........
Members of the House of Representatives have resolved to take home their official cars and office equipment at ‘giveaway prices’ as the Sixth Assembly winds down on Thursday (today).
The House bought 380 units Peugeot 407 in 2008 for about N2.32bn or N6.1m each.
Investigations revealed that at an executive session presided over by the outgoing Speaker, Mr. Dimeji Bankole, on Wednesday, lawmakers agreed to pay N850,000 for each car
Among the office equipment are computers, scanners and printers, which were bought between 2008 and 2009. Each of the items is to be sold to the lawmakers at 15 per cent of the original price.
It was gathered that at the session, the leadership reportedly briefed the members that the ‘giveaway prices’ of the cars and the office equipment were in line with “civil service standard.”
Findings indicated that the House was in possession of a circular from the Ministry of Works, which spelt out the modalities for disposing government property in such circumstances.
“There was a circular from the FMW which served as a guide and what we were told was that we were going to pay for each car, based on the value and the procedure adopted, the sum of 850,000 or thereabout”, a member, who attended the meeting, disclosed on Wednesday.
It was learnt that before Wednesday’s meeting where the circular was used as a reference point, lawmakers had offered to pay between N200,000 and N300, 000 for each of the cars.
The management of the National Assembly, which was initially involved in the negotiations, had reportedly offered the vehicles for between N2.5m and N2.7m each.
Regarding the computers and scanners, lawmakers were said to have argued that they needed to take them along because they contained personal information “not useful to their successors.”
The proceeds from the cars and the equipment are to be deducted from the severance package of the lawmakers.
The House spent over N9bn in 2008 to furnish the offices of lawmakers and buying items such as torch at a whopping N9,000 per unit.
The executive session had lasted for about one hour before members reverted to the plenary.
On resumption from the session, Bankole announced that lawmakers had used the meeting to discuss the issue of their official vehicles and the equipment.
“The House met in executive session and passed a resolution on the holding of the vehicles and equipment of the Sixth National Assembly and it was resolved amicably,” he said.
The Chairman of the House Committee on House Services, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, disagreed with reports that the cars and equipment were actually being carted away without lawmakers paying a kobo for them.
Dogara told our correspondent that the price of any item or car taken away would be deducted from the severance package of members.
He noted that the details of the severance package were being worked out, adding that no item would be taken away free of charge.
Dogara said, “There is an inventory on office equipment; we shall carefully study it and ensure that nothing is taken away, which was not approved.
“We are very meticulous about this; anybody who takes away any item will certainly pay for it.
“By the time the severance package is being paid, all the deductions will be made; it is as simple as that.”
Findings showed that the majority of the non-returning 260 members of the House had already removed the computers, scanners and printers from their offices before Wednesday’s meeting.
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
It feels good to be back again after a very long break. I've been busy doing too many things, and I just had to hands off blogging for fear of a serious break-down. Lol.
So we have a 'new' president, the South West states have been reclaimed by the ACN, Boko Harams have been killing with reckless abandon, the Super Eagles will finally play a grade 'A' friendly match Argentina tomorrow......... Too many things to talk about. Lemme take a break, post some of my cake designs, and kick off with the Nigeria-Argentina match tomorrow.
Have fun, people.
Cakes by Creamy Delight Cakes
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Lagos State doctors under the auspices of Medical Guild and the Association of Resident Doctors Lagos State University Teaching Hospital Branch (LASUTH-ARD) yesterday resumed their suspended 14 weeks old strike.
The decision to resume the strike was unanimously voted for shortly after a congress of the striking doctors in Lagos, Friday.
In swift reaction to the development, the elders of the medical profession under the aegis of Elders Forum condemned the resumption of the suspended strike by the doctors, saying “their actions are unethical, faceless and unbecoming of thorough – bred medical professionals who are purely opportunists and blackmailers.”
Briefing journalists on the commencement of the strike, shortly after the congress, the president of the Medical Guild, Dr. Saheed Babajide, said the decision of the doctors to resume the suspended strike was borne out of dissatisfaction occasioned by government’s insensitivity and failure to honour its promise as contained in the agreement reached with the doctors in November 2010.
Out of 176 doctors in attendance, 143 voted in support of the strike action and 27 voted against, while 16 abstained from voting.
Justifying their reasons for the strike action, the president said the guild had done its part to ensure peace only for the government to renege on its promise.
The Elders Forum at a separate press conference tagged, “One strike too many”. yesterday in Lagos, alleged that the young doctors have reduced the ethics of the medical profession to nothing and vowed to stop them this time.
The Forum said, “The time has come for us the elders of the profession to speak out. We can no longer allow these junior doctors to bring to nothing our dearly oath to protect and care for our patients. It is a sober moment but we have to rise up to the occasion and save our profession. Unfortunately, majority of patients are poor Nigerians who cannot afford to fly out of this country for medical treatment.
We will take it up with them. It is time to stop incessant strikes in the state.” Fielding questions from journalists, the spokesperson of the group, Dr. Ore Falomo, declared the strike as illegal, just as he alleged that there was no prior notice to their employer before going back to the strike, against labour laws of a week or two weeks notice to the employer.
Friday, February 4, 2011
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, yesterday, announced a new salary package for the state civil servants.
This was disclosed by the Commissioner for Establishment, Training and Pensions, Mr. Jide Sanwo-Olu, who was flanked by the state Head of Service, Prince Adesegun Ogunlewe and the Special Assistant to the governor on media, Mr. Akeem Bello at a press briefing at the Bagualda Kaltho Press Centre, Alausa, Ikeja.
Sanwo-Olu said: “The decision to increase the Lagos State civil servant salary was arrived at the special Executive Council’s meeting completed some minutes past 7p.m.
He did not reveal the details of the new structure but promised to announce the details next week.
According to him, “the civil servants affected include teaching and non-teaching staff, core civil service profession, medical , dental and other health workers in the state.”
He added that all necessary recommendations had been taken care of in the new salary structure.
Sanwoo-olu emphasised: “The new package will take effect as agreed upon with all the various unions from the first of January 2011. What this means is that in tandem with the 2011 budget approval. We will also be doing a one month arrears of this package.”
The father of Mr. Mukthar Aminu, who was reportedly imprisoned for allegedly defaming Jigawa State Governor, Sule Lamido, on Facebook, has dumped the Peoples Democratic Party for the Action Congress of Nigeria.
Mukhtar’s father, Ibrahim, has also threatened to sue the governor over his son’s arrest and detention, according to a report on the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation monitored in Kaduna on Thursday.
Without doubt,people have grossly abused the facelessness of the internet, but imprisonment over facebook comments? Hmmmmm......
The Independent National Electoral Commission on Thursday said it had registered about 54.9 million people as at January 31.
It said in a statement in Abuja that it projected that 62 million Nigerians would be registered by the close of the exercise on Saturday (tomorrow). The exercise started on January 15.
The statement by Mr. Kayode Idowu, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, was made available to journalists on Thursday just as policemen in Oyo State found Direct Data Capturing machines in a forest close to a predominantly Fulani settlement in Saki West Local Government Area.
INEC, however, explained that daily nationwide average had “lowered to 3.2 million as against about 4.3 million per day earlier recorded.”
It said that it expected that the daily average would decline even further as more people get registered.
Idowu had earlier on Thursday told the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja that the additional N6.6bn needed for the extended period (seven days) of the voter registration was part of the N87bn budget meant for the entire exercise.
INEC had on January 26 requested the extra vote to complete the exercise. But Idowu dismissed insinuations that the N6.6bn request was in addition to the N87bn already received by the electoral body.
“The money that was budgeted earlier on, much of it was for capital projects. By budgeting procedures, if there is any recurrent expenditure, you have to appropriate fresh money for it regardless of what you have left in your capital vote,” he said.
Idowu added that the budgeting procedure did not allow for the spending of funds earmarked for capital projects.
The INEC chairman’s spokesman also said the commission would pay additional N14,000 to each corps member participating as ad-hoc staff in the exercise.