Friday, July 23, 2010

LASTMA- And Other Law Breakers

On Wednesday, July 21, I was driving to the office with a couple of my colleagues in the car. It was well past 10am, traffic was light and driving was fun. But shortly after descending the Oshodi Oke Bridge, the vehicle in front me suddenly stopped and tried I as could, I ended up hitting the bumper lightly. I knew I was not at fault in any way, and the owner of the vehicle knew it too. The sudden collision was caused by the officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), who in their bid to arrest a commercial bus, stopped on motion without observing any of the traffic rules.


But that’s not even the gist. The gist is that as soon as they realized the result of their action, they sped off! I was livid with anger, and together with the car I hit, gave them a chase. We caught up with them just as they were about to veer towards Airport Road and all hell was let loose. For about ten minutes, we gave them the insults of their lives, and caused a long line of traffic. So many people parked and joined in the fray. A gentleman was particularly angry because my car narrowly escaped being crushed by a trailer, and he really took the issue personal. At the end of it all, the LASTMA officials apologized profusely to me and the gentleman whose 2008 Toyota Camry bumper I dented. They checked my car to make sure nothing was wrong it, and with further plea from the owner of the Camry, were let off the hook.

Later in the day when I reflected on the incident, I asked myself a few questions:

First, the LASTMA officials had no business with the bus driver because they were apparently heading somewhere else, and the bus driver didn’t obstruct traffic. So, was the action taken in public interest or out of selfishness?


Secondly, the enforcers of the law flouted the law but were not responsible enough to face the consequence of their actions. How do I expect such people to protect my interest in a critical situation?


If I were responsible for the collision and the LASTMA officials had arrested me, would I have been let off the hook so easily?


When are the men of the law ever going to realize that the law is meant to be obeyed by everybody?

Every so-called enforcer of the law is messed up in this country- and the Nigerian Police tops the list. Our policemen will salute well-known criminals or fraudsters, but arrest innocent people over trivial issues. The Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI) officials take pleasure in enriching themselves under the guise of enforcing discipline. The LASTMA officials are best described as uniformed touts, and they never fail to display their inherent notoriety. The more powerful security outfits (army, navy and air force) take joy in going against the law and beating up anybody who tries to correct them.

Our politicians are not bothered because they enjoy immunity, and the ones who are genuinely concerned are so few and far-between. The citizens are at the mercy of the ignorant law-enforcers, and because they have nowhere to run to, have to submit to the largely unreasonable demands of the law enforcers.

I shake my head in pity for the law enforcers because what happened two days ago clearly showed that Nigerians are really tired of being pushed around, and it’s only a matter of time before we all decide to take our destiny in our hands.

So, to all law breakers who pretend to be law enforcers, your cup is almost full.

No comments:

Post a Comment