Monday, June 18, 2012

Farouk Lawan, Trust, My Thoughts



Without doubt, Farouk Lawan has let many people down. Before the bubble burst last week, I never associated his name with any political party. I just saw him as a Representative who was genuinely interested in a corrupt-free National Assembly- and I am sure many of us felt this way.
But then, my worry isn't about Farouk Lawan's 'deception', but the horrible state of our moral values in this country. The word 'trust' becomes more alien to Nigerians almost on an hourly basis. People are laying claims to heroism for the wrong reasons, the youths have lost faith in hardwork, and the 'elders' shamelessly display their ignorance via actions and unguarded comments.
Adams Oshiomole, the Edo state governor, advised youths not to lose hope in Nigeria. He gave the advice at the convocation ceremony of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State. When I read the story, I just smiled to myself- if only he had an idea of how frustrated those poor graduands are. As much as I believe in this country, I am also realistic enough to know that my children need to grow up in a more organised society in order to enhance their sense of value. 
Our public commentators are quick to condemn the government of the day, only to start singing its praise as soon as they get juicy appointments. Human rights activism is heavily laced with so much hypocrisy these days, and it has become more of 'pocket rights' activism.
Whenever I remember Banky W's response to one of Dr. Rueben Abati's editorials, I just marvel at how badly this country has been battered- and how the youths have been greedily shortchanged. Our beloved 'elders' ruined this country before most of us were born!
Chika, my dear friend and sister was so sad yesterday that she kept tweeting at a disturbing rate. When I couldn't bear her rants anymore, I called her to discuss the issue. I told her to worry less about the country's problems if she wants to live long enough to see her children and grandchildren- and that's the same decision I took a long time ago. 
For me, none of these 'eminent Nigerians' is worth my trust and energy, and I have channelled my resources to making sure that my immediate society becomes a better place. You can call it selfishness; I call it 'using my limited resources to achieve the best result I can'.

No comments:

Post a Comment