Saturday, September 4, 2010

The 'Ember' Months......

The ‘Ember’ Months Are Here!


Wow! It’s the ninth month of the year already. Welcome to September, the first of the ‘ember’ months. Many of us still strongly believe in the superstition that the ‘ember’ months are the dreadful months of the year. Personally, the ‘ember’ months are not so different from the other months- my uncle died in January, and my grandma died in June. Aren’t those dreadful enough?

For me, the ‘ember’ months shall mark the beginning of unprecedented success for me, and everybody connected to me in any way. Amen. Let the celebrations begin!



Between Barcelona and Fabregas

Barcelona FC arguably plays the best club football in the world, and there so many laurels and world class players to show for it. But then, why does Pep Guordiola buy players he hardly needs? First, it was Henry. He enjoyed a fantastic first season, but his popularity in Camp Nou gradually declined until he was shipped off to the US MLS. If you think the one-time Arsenal goal poacher suffered, then you don’t know about Ibramovich- he played for only one season and moved to AC Milan! This is a player whose purchase price included Samuel Eto’o!

Anyway, I hope Cesc Fabregas is learning from all these, sha.



My HiTV Pain

I subscribed to the HiTV service because of my firm belief in Nigeria-made products and services. I was particularly impressed that the satellite TV service would give DSTV a run for their money. I am not a soccer freak, but I was very happy that a truly Nigerian company was growing so fast. I looked forward to enjoying quality programmes with my family but ended up getting disappointed.

It started with the merging of stations, then yanking off stations without notice. I chose to ignore the fact that programmes were repeated with annoying frequency. My son, Big Boy, became a fan of Nickleodeon, and that really pleased me. When the EPL rights were snatched by DSTV, it didn’t bother me. But when all the Nickleodeon cartoons were exhausted and repetitions became a routine, I knew it was time to move on.

Welcome home, DSTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment