Saturday, August 28, 2010

When 'Sorry' is Not Enough

One of the most challenging tasks faced by customer service professionals is attending to irate customers. Because no system is 100% flawless, customers suffer service inconveniences for so many reasons, and the situation becomes worse when such issues are not resolved within the stipulated turn-around time. When such a situation arises- and it usually does-, the last thing customers want to listen to is a lame apology from customer service professionals. I’ve found myself in situations where I had to feign anger in a customer’s favour in order to please her! I may have acted ‘anti organization’, but my action retained that customer.


When customers are frustrated, it is best to empathize with them in such a way that we’ll still be in charge of the situation. Most customers will listen to us if they notice confidence in our first few statements. Saying ‘sorry’ without any action to back up our apology is a waste time, and a dent on an organization’s integrity. My experience with customers has taught me that many customers do not expect their issues to be resolved at the first point of contact, but they expect their issues to be managed in such a manner that even when the resolution takes weeks, the customers have a clear understanding of what is happening.

Customer service is about pampering customers, and giving them what they want. It is also about telling customers the truth, taking charge of our issues, and finding new ways to make customers feel better. My organization has devised new ways to make customers feel better, and the word ‘sorry’ is beginning to have a new meaning. Personally, my strategy is simple: I support an irate customer’s cause, commend him for controlling his anger, then fashion out ways to resolve his issue. When I eventually say ‘sorry’, it is better appreciated because it is better understood.

It’s good to say ‘sorry’, but it should be said with sincerity and not ‘as instructed’. Most importantly, it should be said in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment